There is nothing wrong with ‘test nerves’, they help your brain to stay alert and get it ready to think. What isn’t helpful is when test nerves convert those gently fluttering butterflies in your tummy, into swarming bees, getting your heart racing and filling your head with negative thoughts. This is known as test anxiety and results in a racing heart, difficulty breathing, sweaty hands, shaking, a dry mouth, feeling nauseous or even dizzy, unnecessary worry and negative thoughts. No wonder the brain goes totally blank.
How can you overcome test anxiety?
- Get enough quality sleep
- Do not leave studying to the last minute
- Breathe slowly and deeply
- Don’t be too hard on yourself
- Don’t compare yourself to others
- Don’t strive for perfect, just your best
- Turn negative thoughts into positive affirmations
- Exercise to release those feel good hormones
- Avoid sugar and junk food. Eat healthy snacks specifically containing the Omega-3 fatty acid.
- Make sure you are supporting your brain by drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day.
Our program, YogaT2T, is specifically designed to deal with this kind of anxiety and provides calm breathing techniques, yoga exercises to assist with sleep and relaxation exercises. We have also sourced locally grown nuts and various other snacks, to ensure that your child has access to essential brain and nerve food. Please read our blog and product descriptions about the various benefits of eating nuts.
Thank you for checking in again. Hope you have found this article helpful.